In TSN’s Insider Trading report earlier today, featuring heavy hitters James Duthie, Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun and Bob McKenzie, several Kings reports were shared.
Pierre LeBrun, on contract negotiations with Justin Williams:
The agent, Thane Campbell, [told] me on Tuesday that they have shelved talks until the rest of the year, unless, of course, the Kings are willing to sign off on the offer that they have made to the Kings – and they will sign, if that offer is accepted. But until then, they want to shelve it until July 1st. They don’t want it to be a distraction.
Bob McKenzie, on the team’s search for a defenseman:
And, in the meantime, the L.A. Kings continue to look for a defenseman. They know Slava Voynov’s not going to be back in the picture anytime soon, if at all. Mark Methot and Andrej Sekera from the Carolina Hurricanes, two of the defensemen – Methot, of course with the Sens – [are two defensemen] that they are looking at, amongst others.
Both Methot and Sekera are eligible to become unrestricted free agents on July 1.
Regarding Williams, I was told by a member of the team’s hockey operations when inquiring last week that negotiations with the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner were still in their early stages, though, obviously, discussions have taken place between then and now. The 33-year-old Williams, who signed a four-year, $13.6-million dollar extension in February, 2011, can become an unrestricted free agency on July 1 if there is no agreement on a new contract.
UPDATE, 7:45 PM: For more context, LeBrun has additional details from Thane Campbell, Williams’ agent, in today’s Rumblings blog on ESPN.com. As he notes, “there’s still time before July 1.”