Saturday draft lottery details - LA Kings Insider

The NHL Draft Lottery will be held Saturday at 5:00 p.m. PT in Toronto (NBC / CBC / TVA Sports), and there is a 2.0% chance that the Los Angeles Kings will claim the top selection. There is also a 97.0% chance that they’ll select 13th overall and a 1.0% chance they’ll move down one spot into the 14th slot.

This is noteworthy, of course, because there are two players seen as generational-type talents atop the draft board in Connor McDavid (OHL-Erie) and Jack Eichel (Hockey East-Boston University).

Overall chances of winning the Draft Lottery:

Buffalo Sabres – 20.0%
Arizona Coyotes – 13.5%
Edmonton Oilers – 11.5%
Toronto Maple Leafs – 9.5%
Carolina Hurricanes – 8.5%
New Jersey Devils – 7.5%
Philadelphia Flyers – 6.5%
Columbus Blue Jackets – 6.0%
San Jose Sharks – 5.0%
Colorado Avalanche – 3.5%
Florida Panthers – 3.0%
Dallas Stars – 2.5%
Boston Bruins – 1.0%

Here’s a lottery simulator. On the way home from Calgary, it took us 31 tries before the simulator produced LOS ANGELES KINGS. This morning, the Kings appeared on the sixth refresh. In real life, neither result foretells a June Connor McDavid press conference at Staples Center. The 2015 NHL Draft will be held June 26-27 at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida.

The selection is available to the Kings because the first round pick traded to Carolina in the Andrej Sekera exchange was lottery-protected, meaning that the Kings would retain ownership of it if they failed to make the playoffs in 2014-15, and instead trade their 2016 first round selection to the Hurricanes to complete the trade.

Here’s how the Draft Lottery will work, courtesy of

Balls numbered 1 to 14 will be put into a lottery machine that selects four balls to provide a four-number combination. That will be matched to a chart containing all possible four-number combinations that have been assigned to each of the 14 teams on the basis of their percentage chance to win the lottery.

The Buffalo Sabres, who finished with the fewest points in the regular season, have a 20.0 percent chance of winning the lottery. If they don’t win the No. 1 pick, they are guaranteed No. 2, because the rules dictate no team can move back more than one spot.

The balls selected by the lottery machine will be shown on television. Combinations that will make lots of Kings fans very, very happy: 2-3-4-6, 2-4-5-12, 2-4-7-8, 2-4-7-11, 2-6-8-11, 2-7-9-11, 2-8-9-12, 3-4-5-11, 3-4-5-12, 3-4-6-11, 3-4-9-13, 3-6-7-12, 3-6-7-14, 3-6-8-13, 3-6-13-14, 4-6-12-14, 5-9-10-11, 6-8-13-14, 7-8-10-12 and 9-10-11-14. If the balls produce a sequence of 11-12-13-14, there will be a re-draw.

Some recommended reading: Sean McIndoe’s Draft Lottery Power Rankings at Grantland will make you laugh. Here’s another primer on how the lottery will work, with links to Central Scouting’s prospect lists and PDFs of various lottery ball combinations.

Obligatory Lloyd Christmas analysis:


Rules for Blog Commenting
  • - No profanity, slurs or other offensive language. Replacing letters with symbols does not turn expletives into non-expletives.
  • - Personal attacks against other blog commenters, and/or blatant attempts to antagonize other commenters, are not tolerated. Respectful disagreement is encouraged. Posts that continually express the same singular opinion will be deleted.
  • - Comments that incite political, religious or similar debates will be deleted.
  • - Please do not discuss, or post links to, websites that illegally stream NHL games.
  • - Posting under multiple user names is not allowed. Do not type in all caps. All violations are subject to comment deletion and/or banning of commenters, per the discretion of the blog administrator.
Adrian Kempe

#9 | 6′ 2″ | 195 lb | Age: 21

Born: September 13, 1996
Birthplace: Kramfors, SWE
Position: LW
Handedness: Left


Kempe was selected by the Kings in the first round (29th overall) in the 2014 NHL Draft.

Alex Iafallo

#19 | 6′ | 185 lb | Age: 23

Born: December 21, 1993
Birthplace: Eden, NY, USA
Position: C
Handedness: Left


Iafallo was signed by the Kings as an unrestricted free agent on April 18, 2017.

Anze Kopitar

#11 | 6′ 3″ | 224 lb | Age: 29

Born: August 24, 1987
Birthplace: Jesenice, SVN
Position: C
Handedness: Left


As the 11th overall pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Kopitar became the first Slovenian to play in the NHL. Kopitar has spent his entire NHL career with the Kings, and following the 2015–16 season, was named the Kings’ captain. Noted for both his offensive and defensive play, Kopitar was awarded the Frank J. Selke Trophy as the best defensive forward in the NHL in 2016.

Drew Doughty

#8 | 6′ 1″ | 195 lb | Age: 26

Born: December 8, 1989
Birthplace: London, ON, CAN
Position: D
Handedness: Right


Bio: Doughty is a Canadian defenceman who was selected second overall by the Kings in the 2008 Draft. Doughty made his NHL debut in 2008 as an 18-year-old and was named to the All-Rookie Team. He is a two-time Stanley Cup champion with the Kings, a two-time Olympic gold medallist with the Canadian national team, and a Norris Trophy finalist.

Jeff Carter

#77 | 6′ 4″ | 215 lb | Age: 31

Born: January 1, 1985
Birthplace: London, ON, CAN
Position: C
Handedness: Right


Carter began his hockey career playing in the Ontario Hockey League in Canada before joining the AHL and playing for the Philadelphia Flyers. He was then traded to the Colombus Blue jackets before joining the LA Kings in 2012, where he has since won two Stanley Cups with the Kings.

Jonathan Quick

#32 | 6′ 1″ | 218 lb | Age: 30

Born: January 21, 1986
Birthplace: Milford, CT, USA
Position: G
Handedness: Left


Bio: Quick is the current goaltender for the LA Kings and was selected by Los Angeles at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Previously, Quick was a silver medalist with USA at the 2010 Winter Olympics. He’s won two Stanley Cup championships with the Kings, along with being the most recent goaltender to be awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.