In the only game on today’s NHL schedule, St. Louis hosts Phoenix at 4:30 p.m. Pacific time. The game won’t define anything, in terms of the Kings’ ultimate playoff position, but it is massively relevant. Here are the Kings-related scenarios…
– If the Coyotes win in regulation or overtime, the Kings can still win the Pacific Division if they a) beat San Jose in regulation or overtime tomorrow and the Coyotes do not earn two points tomorrow at Minnesota, or b) beat San Jose in a shootout and Phoenix loses to Minnesota in regulation.
– If the Coyotes win in a shootout, the Kings can still win the division under a couple scenarios, but the Kings must get two points against San Jose and Phoenix cannot get two points against Minnesota.
– If the Coyotes lose in overtime or a shootout, the Kings can win the division with a regulation/overtime win over San Jose, or a shootout win if Phoenix does not beat Minnesota in regulation or overtime.
– If the Coyotes lose in regulation, the Kings can win the division by earning two points against San Jose.
– Under any scenario, the Kings cannot win the division if they only get one point against San Jose.
We’ll run through it again tonight after the Coyotes-Blues game…