Postgame notes (Oct. 25)
Here are some notes from last night’s Kings-Minnesota game…
– Jarret Stoll and Anze Kopitar had power-play goals and the Kings beat Minnesota 3-2 in a shootout. It was the second time this season that the Kings won a game without scoring an even-strength goal, following their 2-1 season-opening win at Vancouver.
– For the second consecutive game, the Kings killed a five-minute penalty. This time, Dustin Brown got the major, plus a game misconduct, for a hit to the head on Minnesota’s Antti Miettinen. The Kings killed the penalty, keeping the score at 2-1 in the second period.
– The Kings outshot the Wild 34-22. The Kings have recorded at least 30 shots in five of eight games this season, and the 22 Wild shots were the fewest by a Kings opponent this season. The Kings are now 3-1 when outshooting their opponents.
– The Kings went 2-for-7 on the power play and 4-for-4 on the penalty kill against a Minnesota team that started the night with the NHL’s most-efficient power-play unit. After a 1-for-22 start, the Kings’ power play is 4-for-12 in its last two games. The Kings had a season-high 12 power-play shots on goal.
– Jonathan Quick stopped 20 shots to improve his personal record to 5-1 this season.
– The Kings improved to 2-0 in shootouts this season.
– Anze Kopitar had one goal and one assist. Kopitar did not score a goal in his first four games, but now has three goals in his last four games, plus five assists in eight games this season.
– Jack Johnson had two assists for his first multi-point game of the season and has three power-play assists in the last two games.
– Jarret Stoll had a power-play goal, his third goal in eight games this season.
– Jack Johnson led the Kings in ice time, at 29:28. Anze Kopitar led all forwards at 24:37. Johnson and Justin Williams each had a team-high five shots on goal. Matt Greene was credited with four hits and seven Kings were each credited with two blocked shots.
– The Kings won 38 of 77 faceoffs (49 percent). Anze Kopitar won 9 of 14 draws (64 percent).